Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal




I found this delicious recipe over at Alaska from Scratch, and it's one of the few baked oatmeal recipes (the only?) I have made that I felt was perfect as is, and did not need any adjustments.

Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal

2 ripe bananas, sliced
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen*
1 cup old fashioned oats**
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (I used a 9x9" pan).

Lay the bananas in a single layer on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the blueberries over the bananas. 

In a bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle oat mixture over fruit.

Whisk together milk, egg, butter, syrup and vanilla, Pour over oats, coating evenly. Sprinkle remaining blueberries and nuts over the top.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden and bubbly, and set in the center.

Serve with milk.

Preparation time: 7 minutes. Bake time: 35-45 minutes. Servings: 4.

* I used part frozen and part fresh blueberries. I had the frozen berries on the bottom and sprinkled the fresh ones on top. If I were using only frozen blueberries I probably would put them all on top of the bananas and not sprinkle any on top of the oats.

**I have successfully used old fashioned oats and quick oats interchangeably in most of my baked oatmeal recipes. Technically both old fashioned oats and quick oats are rolled (flattened). Steal cut oats are not rolled.

Search terms:
Baked oatmeal with fruit
Baked oatmeal with bananas
Baked oatmeal with blueberries
Baked oatmeal with maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment